Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Torn by K.A. Robinson

Review by Kimmi

I get more enjoyment from reading the books that push me, I like it when authors make me step out of my comfort zone.  I hate to say, but "Torn" is not that book, at least for me. And I can't believe I'm actually writing a review that isn't a 5 star review. Usually I'll just leave it be but make sure to let my friends know "ehhh, I wouldn't". However, I just can't not write this review. I won't criticize too harshly though, I will give "Torn" 3 stars. At one point while I was reading it the thought popped into my head (This is like a B rated version of "Thoughtless"). Truthfully I can't tell you if its because the story itself or that I'm let down by the potential this story had.  But I'm leaning towards the latter.  These characters could have been awesome, strong characters, and I feel like if K.A. Robinson would have just pushed them a little more, created them a little deeper, darker, they would have been phenomenal characters. In the beginning I really loved Chloe, she had the makings of a great lead character, but somewhere towards the middle when she became confused, and started with her empty excuses and silly indecisiveness, she kind of hollowed out for me. And after that the story itself just kind of teetered out and stalled. The only character that really had any depth was Drake, in him I felt angst, sadness, he felt real. But everyone else around him seemed like cardboard extras. However the story did pick up near the end and I'm glad I read, and finished it. I really enjoyed the last chapter, but it was in Drake's POV, I would have loved it if the whole story was. Ok, now with all the negative out of the way.......Will I follow the series with book 2 "Twisted"? Hell yes I will. It leaves you with just enough of a cliffhanger that makes you NEED "Twisted". 





No comments:

Post a Comment